Become / Change
- 变成 (biàn chéng) Become / Turn into
- 变老 (biàn lǎo) Become old
- 变形 (biàn xíng) Transform Literal. Change shape/form
- 变性 (biàn xìng) Transgender Literal. Change sex
- 变心 (biàn xīn) Unfaithful Literal. Heart change
- 变色龙 (biàn sè lóng) Chameleon Literal. Change colour dragon
+ A LITTLE MORE +
变态 (biàn tài) Abnormal / Perverted Literal. Change in manner – originated to describe people with awkward or perverse attitude, similar to the Japanese term, Hentai. These days, however, it is not uncommon to hear the term being used on warped ideology or extreme food choices.
变脸 (biàn liǎn) Bian Lian Literal. Change face is a highly acclaimed dramatic art in Sichuan Opera where the performer "changes his face" in the form of brightly painted facial masks. Each mask represents a different Opera character and the switch (between masks) happens subtly with a turn of his head or a flip of a prop. Legend has it that the highest record of "face change" is 108, although, it ranges around 40 to 60 in usual performances.