Beauty / Magnificent
- 风和日丽 (fēng hé rì lì) Great or perfect weather Literal. Wind is calm, Sun is magnificent – usually used to describe "a good day to be out"
+ A LITTLE MORE +
Most compound words (containing 丽) are ways of describing beauty, however, 丽 is very seldom used on its own.
- 美丽 (méi lì) Beautiful – the most widely used term to describe the beauty of something, someone and someplace. Very often, 美 is used in short.
- 亮丽 (liàng lì) Attractive / Glamorous Literal. Bright and beautiful – refers to a lady who is very well-dressed and usually in the limelight
- 艳丽 (yàn lì) Sexy / Sultry Literal. Stunning and beautiful – refers to a lady who looks hot and has great sexual appeal
- 华丽 (huá lì) Posh Literal. Luxurious and beautiful – could be used for humans, fashion accessories, exterior and interior décor of spaces that are lavish looking.
- 壮丽 (zhuàng lì) Magnificent / Grand Literal. Majestic and beautiful – widely used when describing scenery especially of mountains or architectural structures.
+ NAMES TO NOTE +
- 丽江 (lì jiāng) Lijiang – a city in Yunnan province
- 高丽 (gāo lì) Korea (Old name), during 918 -1,392 AD
- 高丽参 (gāo lì shēn) Korea ginseng