问 Not to be confused with [6.01 向](6-01.html)
Question / Ask
- 问号 (wèn hào) Question mark
- 问题 (wèn tí) Problem Literal. Question a topic
- 顾问 (gù wèn) Consultant Literal. Tend to questions
- 访问 (fáng wèn) Interview
- 提问 (tí wèn) Raise a question
- 审问 (shěn wèn) Interrogate
- 问好 (wèn hǎo) To greet a person Literal. Ask well
- 问候 (wèn hòu) To send one's regards Literal. Ask and inquire
+ A LITTLE MORE +
问长问短 (wèn cháng wèn duǎn) Concern over a person *Literal. Ask long ask short* – used when someone inquires in details various aspects of a person's life.
- 问心无愧 (wèn xīn wú kùi) Have nothing to hide Literal. Ask one's heart without shame – widely used to emphasize that one's actions are made with clear conscience, similar to "cross my heart (hope to die)"
- 打破沙锅问到底 (dǎ pò shā guō wèn dào dǐ) Get to the bottom of Literal. Break a claypot and question till the very end –derived from the initial saying of 打破沙锅璺到底 where 璺 (wèn) specifically refers to the visible crack lines of pottery (ceramic / porcelain / jade / glass). As 璺 and 问 sounds identical, people tend to use this as metaphor to express "ask as many questions (like how the crack leads to the bottom), until one finds the answer"