- 才华 (cái huá) Talent
- 有才 (yǒu cái) Talented Literal. Have talent
- 天才 Genius Literal. Heavenly talent
2. Just / Only just
- 刚才 (gāng cái) A moment ago / Just now Literal. Recently just
- 我才说 (wǒ cái shuō) I only just said or mentioned
- 他才走出去 (tā cái zǒu chū qù) He only just walked out
- 他说了，我才知道 (tā shuō le, wǒ cái zhī dào) I came to know (about what happened) after he said or mentioned Literal. He say already, I then know (what happened)
- 才几个人 (cái jǐ gè rén) Only a few people
- 才几块钱 (cái jǐ kuài qián) Only a few dollars
- 才三点，急什么 (cái sān diǎn, jí shěn me) It's only 3 o'clock, what's the hurry? Literal. Only 3 o'clock, hurry what?
Usually added to add emphasis
- 我才不要 (wǒ cái bù yào) I certainly do not want
- 你才有问题 (nǐ cái yǒu wèn tí) You are the problematic one Literal. You certainly have a problem – often used when one begs to differ
- 我喜欢他才怪 (wǒ xǐ huan tā cái guài）I am not fond of him Literal. I am fond of him, certainly strange - a colloquial way of expressing "how is that possible?!" or "that's ridiculous!"