1. All over
- 游遍世界 (yóu biàn) Travel the world Literal. Wander all over the world
- 找遍整个房间 (zhǎo biàn zhěng gè fáng jiān) Searched high and low in this room Literal. Searched all over in the entire room
- 吃遍新加坡的美食 (chī biàn xīn jiā pō dè měi shí) Eaten all tasty delights in Singapore
2. Span of Classifier.
For the entire span (from beginning to end)
- 这部电影，我看了三遍 (zhè bù diàn yǐng, wǒ kàn le sān biàn) I have watched this movie three times Literal. This movie, I watch already three spans of it
- 他播这首歌好几遍了 (tā bō zhè shǒu gē háo jǐ biàn le) He has been playing this song a number of times Literal. He has played this song a good many spans already
Similar sounding/looking characters:
Basic component: 扁 (biǎn) Flat
纟 Silk Radical + 扁 = 编 (biān) Plait
⺮ (Bamboo) Radical + 扁 = 篇 (piān) Chapter
亻 Human Radical + 扁 = 偏 (piān) Remote
马 Horse Radical + 扁 = 骗 (piàn) Stab
签 (qiān) To sign – derived from 竹签 (zhú jiǎn) Bamboo strips (individual thin pieces) that are made for inscriptions and later used for fortune telling where a bundle of strips are placed in a cylinder and one has to shake it vigorously until one single strip drops out of the cylinder. This particular process is known as 求签 (qiú qiān) Literal. Beg for a sign or 抽签 (chōu qiān) Literal. Pick a sign, the latter is also used to mean "draw lots".
简 (jiǎn) Simple / Simplified / Concise – derived from 竹简 (zhú jiǎn) Bamboo scrolls (strips thread-sewn together) that are made for writing (vertically), later used for menus or shop itinerary hence information has to be concise due to limited space on each strip.
笔 (bǐ) Writing instrument – In modern times, it could simply mean "pen". However, it is interesting to know some basics:**
毛笔 (máo bǐ) Calligraphy brush – the earliest form that has a bamboo body and wolf's fur (毛)
钢笔 (gang bǐ) Fountain pen Literal. Steel writing instrument
粉笔 (fěn bǐ) Chalk Literal. Power writing instrument
蜡笔 (là bǐ) Crayon Literal. Wax writing instrument
圆珠笔 (gang bǐ) Ball-point pen
铅笔 (gang bǐ) Pencil Literal. Graphite writing instrument
投影笔 (gang bǐ) Laser pen Literal. Projection writing instrument